MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Crackers for Cracker Barrels...


A pause, if you will, to talk a minute about Cracker Barrels. Not the actual barrels, although there are plenty in the place of which i speak, but the restaurants

Now my California friends are shaking their collective heads and wondering if I have finally, irrevocably, inevitably gone wandering mentally off into the abyss, but nay... I am as sane as ever (pausing for the well deserved burst of raucous laughter that always follows such a remark made by me).

Cracker Barrel Restaurants are one of the things to which I look forward each trip out into the vast wastelands of the south, mostly. They are a combination of restaurant and gifty shop.... two of my very favorite pursuits. I have a picture of the front porch of one of them. Rocking chairs sit companionably side by side so that, if you must wait, you will wait in ease and comfort. You can, by golly, purchase one if you so desire-hence the gifty shop tie-in.

The menu is EXTREMELY hearty.

A breakfast selection:

Old Tiimer’s Breakfast... $5.99
Two eggs cooked to order with grits, sawmill gravy, homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, real butter and the best preserves, Jam n’ apple butter (on request) we could find.

-plus-
Fried Apples (cinnamon) or Hashbrown Casserole (kind of like au’gratin potatoes)
-and-
Choice of Smoked Sausage Patties, Turkey Sausage Patties or Thick Sliced Bacon.

For an extra buck you get it ALL... (a sampling of the meat choices).

They serve breakfast all day, and also serve lunch and dinner.

Then, there is the gifty shop. Filled with every crazy knick knack you can possibly imagine, it is a delight to the eyes and senses, with music playing and scented candles to clear your head for breakfast... or after. They get very creative seasonally, and the Christmas stuff is up all year long, I believe.

Do you get the impression I love this place??

Ya think?

5 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger theshriek said...

I am going to go put a hat on so that I can remove it in honor of Cracker Barrel.

I feel the need for biscuits and apple butter coming on...and butter -)

You forgot to mention the country ham. Mr. theshriek (or Mr. Chicago) was horrified when he once ordered it by mistake.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

rofl!! Yeah.. Mr. Vegetable... (snicker)

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so proud that you can spell Massa....eeek...what is it??
me

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaahahahahaaaa. I went to one of these with bajo somewhere outside Denver. Not a whole lot for a nonmeatatarian, but the fish plate was good.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger St.Julien I said...

Cracker Barrel is also one of those nifty places where you can get 'retro' candy - things like Smoky Mountain Taffy (the box is still printed with the same graphics it had when I was a kid) Valomars, Walnettos, Cherry Mash, Chuckles, Twizzlers, Skybars, Clark's T-Berry gum, Black Jack and Clove Gum.

Now, I know where I'M going for breakfast on my days off.

*grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home