MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, May 22, 2006

Kids.... I'll Take Mine Medium Well...


My neighbors... from England, all the way to Big Sur! (picture to follow)
Friday...

I probably won’t be able to post this until I get home, but I’ll try.. if not, you’ll get the next few days all at once...
It’s raining-!! This little van is sooo comfy in the rain. I have a little seat in the back and I sit with my little light and watch the people come in to the campground. I’m back in Big Sur at my favorite campground and, because it’s the weekend, so is everyone else on the planet. But that’s a good thing because I’ve met some really super people already. It’s fun to watch them all pull in, big rigs and small, and maneuver as well as they can into the spots alloted to them. The rain lets up every once in a while and then I go out and meet the neighbors. A very nice couple moved in next door with a chocolate lab named Louie. Louie likes me, and has come over to my door to visit and see what I’m doing.

I have read 3 books already, and am well on my way in a fourth, something I haven’t done for a while. I need a good reading station in my house with a good light. You’d think I could do that, but I don’t seem to be able to find just the right spot... Hell, I’ve only been there 22 years...

Last night, in Olema, there was a .. oh , must have been a 6th grade graduation camp out. 8 billion kids... apparently they backed up all the toilets the night before... kids... I have to keep saying, “ I was that age once. I knew it all. I was cool and everyone else wasn’t:” It’s either that or stuff one or two of them and put them out for show, just to put the others on notice... (grin)

One of the books I read was one that St Julien sent to me.. “Blue Highways” , by William Least Heat Moon. He traveled around the county ( the edges) around 1980 in a van much like my old Ford, sticking to the small roads instead of the highways. He avoided campgrounds because of the ‘big trailers’ and the people he THOUGHT were in them. Assumptions.... they’re usually wrong. When he got lonely (which was way more often than he should have) he stopped in tiny towns and went to the bars to talk to people.. He missed the boat for several reasons.

I have met people from all walks of life and states and countries in campgrounds, and found boatloads of people with whom I could talk and trade stories. I never feel lonely on the road. He limited himself to the same kind of people each place he traveled, which was a shame. There are many things to be seen on the backroads in this country, but there are some killer places on the big highways, too... I think he was a bit fearful.

I started long before he did, too... neener neener!

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Least Heat Moon is a lonely man, but it's a good book nonetheless. You should read River Horse, which is about him following Lewis and Clark's footsteps (boatsteps?) in trying to maneuver getting across the US via its waterways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home