MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Bodega Bay...



I can't believe I can finally blog... I wonder what was the problem? Maybe something with the River inn WiFi? Oh well...

I didn't realize this place had Wifi until I was reading the local tourist paper. I guess I have to try just everywhere I go. It's almost the only campground in miles, so who would figure...

I left Big Sur this morning, and traveled up to Monterey. Had a super breaky along the way, gassed up (shudder) and took off. I had to cross over to highway 101 at Monterey because of the outage up near San Fran.

See... here's the thing. There is no way to go from the bottom of San FRancisco (highway 101) to the top of San Francisco (highway 101 and the infamous Golden Gate Bridge which isn't really golden, by the way, but that's a bridge of another color) without going THROUGH THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO!! arrrghhh! You'd think by now the town was big enough that they could fix that problem... it's not like they NEED THE BUSINESS!

I cut back to route 1 (the coast) right after SF and then remembered what a winding mess it is ... but beautiful. It did take me about a half an hour to go 10 miles, but that's about average (and there WERE some messy spots... too much rain last year for the cliffs). The coast above San Francisco is, if possible, more devious than the lower road to Big Sur. The good news is, I was the only car headed in my direction. And, as I said, it's incredibly beautiful this time of year. Two months from now it will be yellowed and dry looking, but I have never seen it look as it did today.

I stopped for the night in Bodega Bay, a tiny little 'hamlet' on a point of coast. It has quite the history. Discovered, several times, apparently, by the Spanish (of course), and has been a major port at one time in it's life until the cows ate all the grass and mud filled the bay and... well... you know the story. In the early 60's THEY started to build a Nuke-u-ler (gotta honor our president at some point) power plant, one of many they had planned. The dug a hole 192 feet deep before they were stopped. I have to go tomorrow and see if it's still here!

Now ... I'm going to r-u-n-n-o-f-t to find pictures now that I can blog!

6 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear from you finally! Heard on the threads that you were having trouble blogging, glad things are better.
Nice heron!!!

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

Isn't she pretty? I'm encouraged by the fact that I seem to see more and more of these each year...
(she said, hopefully) =)

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We get a few white ones here, mostly blue. The blues have a huge nesting ground in the next county.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger St.Julien I said...

Every now and then you'll see them here too. We get quite a few Blue Herons, though.

What great pictures! More! More! More!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger St.Julien I said...

Hey...?
Wasn't Bodega Bay the last place where Linus' kite was seen, sometime back in the late 60's? Hope you'll get a pic if you happen to sight it!

:)

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger theshriek said...

I think your claim that you couldn't blog was just a bid for attention.

And then when you do get on you throw out three posts all at once and flip a bird at us.

Glad that Travels with MizM is back on -)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home