MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Bird Woman of Manhattan Beach...



I think I saved a life today... Not THIS pigeon, but one about this age. As I started walking home from dropping off my car so it could get fixed (!), I saw a crow attacking something with wings. I thought it was a dove or a pigeon, but as I ran closer I saw it was a 'baby' pigeon. A big baby, but a baby nonetheless. I stopped the carnage and picked up the victim and ... and THEN what, I thought...

I walked to the nearest vet, but they didn't do birds. sooo..

I walked back to my car, borrowed a towel from the car guy and drove to the vet who DOES do birds. They took her/him from me quite cheerfully and thanked me. I have no idea what they will do with it. At least, if they can't save it, it will die a lot more peacefully...

poor thing!

6 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one bird rescuer to another...you're a good woman, MizM.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's that time of the year....I will soon be rescuing baby birds & bunnies from the cats. They don't eat them, just want to play. I have a female who tries to bring baby critters into the house, like they are her babies. sigh.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger St.Julien I said...

Okay, whoops, starting over...

He? She? It's so cute!!! I've always given off some sort of 'beacon' to every species of injured animal and birds 'find' me every year. Hope your lil' fella or lady thrives and prospers.

From experience with bluejays and robins, I've found that nightcrawlers - lots of nightcrawlers cut into bits will do the job nicely (YOU won't have much appetite afterward, but the birds have no complaints) I've also heard that Purina kitten chow kibble soaked in condensed milk until very mushy is a good bet but I've never tried it. mmm...feeding kitten chow to a bird seems a form of karmic revenge. :)

Now that I've got a two-feline household I won't be rescuing any birds. Like you, MizM, we've got a good vet close by that handles our wildlife emergencies. In the past year, we've had baby birds, bunnies, two kittens and a litter of possums dropped off at the PD - all survived.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger St.Julien I said...

Shoot! If you'd kept him, you could've named him "Hitchcock"!

grin

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You sure that's a pigeon? That thing looks strangely vulturelike to me.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

It's actually a racing pigeon... I'm sure my little fellow wasn't as cool... I don't think he/she had that kind of beak..

but what do I know?? (grin)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home