MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Barn, by any Other Color...


Before I had my wonderful little digital camera, I used an old 35mm. On one of my long trips (back to Florida, up to Maine and across and up into Canada and down the west coast), I took two of them. I had my mother's camera, and then acquired my sisters, which was the exact same year and model. This had the added bonus of having several lenses that fit both cameras. Having a taste for black and white photography, I put B&W in one camera, and color film in the other, and set out across the known world... Well, MY known world at least.

Often I would take the identical picture with each camera, loving the inherent differences that present themselves with each type of film. I love black and white photography because color doesn't even play in the picture (get it? the picture... ha ha .... sigh.. never mind). You notice line and shadow and composition in B&W, and the play of a picaresque palate of pleasurable hues with color film. Each has it's strengths...

I also love old barns, and the south east, particularly, is rampant with them... I make special effort to get off the main road just to search for them, lonely and forlorn in the middle of a field. I find them on the interstate, broken and forgotten in spite of the constant flow of civilization just outside their door... I love old barns that live with new houses, trying their best to hold up to the elements and make their people proud...

So..

Here's one of my favorite barns... take your pick.

you CAN have it both ways...

4 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger St.Julien I said...

As you know, I LOVE this photo - both versions as well as the sunsets you posted a while back. Keep them photos coming, gal.

ME

 
At 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This barn reminds me of the hills in southern Ohio, where my dad was from. They still have several old tobacco barns there. Yes, Ohio used to grow tobacco ! Interesting about b&w film, my sister insists that people always look younger when their photos are taken in B&W rather than color.
Gotta run oft now & apply for a college degree!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger theshriek said...

These remind of the Rock City barns which you seldom see these days.

I always like looking at B&W photography.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to add, Whenever I see an old barn or old abandoned house I always want to stop & see what's inside. I'm so nosy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home