MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Saturday, March 04, 2006

On Her Hunnymoon...


I spent some time today cleaning out some folders on my desktop, and ran across this picture. It was taken the same time as the honeymoon picture of my Mom and Dad. There's something in my mother's smile that enchants. She was 18... so young and so happy. I love the outfit, again, the little boxy blouse and long full pants... well, maybe not long on my mother, but they made her look taller than she really was. She wrote a letter to her parents, who, after putting her in the boarding school, were living in Mobile... the boarding school was in California. You do the math.... Maybe that was part of how special my father made her feel. She had scholarships to several schools, but chose UCLA so she could be close to my father. She wrote a letter to her parents, probably emboldened the maturity his love and esteem provided, that TOLD them she was leaving school because she 'couldn't concentrate' and just wanted to be with Dad all the time.

It shows in this picture...

and, just another little fashion plate... ME! and my brother, with Henry... our chicken during the war. Another long story I'll tell someday... My mother made this coat and hat. The collar and trim were cut from a piece of Otter pelt that my grandfather brought back from Alaska in the 1920's. I think... the story was he traded chewing gum for the pelt. I don't doubt it, he was a man who loved a bargain. Yes.. I know... OTTER... sigh... it was beautiful though, and I still have the pieces of fur. They feel as soft and warm as they must have almost 90 years ago. I don't agree with wearing fur, but....

I totally get it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home