MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, February 13, 2006

The Missionary and the Mercenary



I've told you the story of my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather, it's back in the WAI GONG blog from November 22, 2005. She was the 'missionary', having graduated from Medical school in 1877, and he was the 'mercenary', working for an exporting company in China.

I don't know how they met. She did NOT want to get married, and I can only assume that part of it was because her mother's life was harsh... and filled with dead children. She was older than he by 6 years, and very determined to be what she wanted to be. I can only think that he was very persuasive... or charming... or cute (grin).

The married in 1884. This was their wedding picture. She was 31 years old, and he a remarkable 25! Maybe this was his charm, for he must have been something to be that successful at that age. I believe they came back to the Chicago area to be married, as both their families were in the general area at that time.

My grandfather was their only child. He was born when my GGrandmother was 35, which was somewhat unusual for that time... at least for a first child. As far as I know they lived happily; I find no evidence to the contrary. She died in 1920 and he died in 1927.


This picture was taken in 1904, 20 years after they were married. I am struck by how little he seems to have changed, and how much she has. I love the strength in her face. What a beautiful woman she was... proud, strong and determined. I don't know about the flowers, though... I would have liked to have known her. I have a picture of him taken sometime in the 1920's... he looks a great deal like Teddy Roosevelt...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home