MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, February 20, 2006

An Angry Ocean...



First of all things, thank you for your warm wishes... I'm better. Not HEALED THANK THE GODDESS HEALED, but better... I haven't had a lot of impetus to go and get some pictures in spite of a phone call from my first real love. I'll tell that story at another time, when I have the proper picture to attend. For now I'm keeping it mellow.

I, in my lifetime, have collected only a few things that I consider art. My tastes are eclectic, and my money is tight, so these things are both inexpensive and decidedly my taste.

This is one of the better things I've collected. It's my pier on an angry ocean day. You have to see it like this to realized that the color of the water is pretty spot on. I love this for the crispness of the pier and the absolute abandon of the ocean. It's kind of an Oscar/Felix love affair. I bought it when I had no money, and no place to put it. I was living in an apartment that was wrapped around a garage. My main living space was like... 8x 13 feet, or some such nonsense. It was an L shaped apartment. In one branch I had my grandparents double bed and my piano. That took up the entire wall, as they were 'end to end' There used to be a hot water heater across from my piano, but that was removed and it was my only closet space. I used to have to sit in the closet to play the piano, as the room narrowed considerably at that point. When it widened, near the bed, I had a triangle shaped corner piece for my TV and my stereo. My bed was under the stairs that went up to the top apartment.

The other L of the room had the kitchen. My grandparents table which, miraculously, closed down to 25 inches wide. It opens (the sides almost reached the floor when it was closed) to seat.. well... a lot of people. I still have that table... solid mahogany. Along that wall was the stove, sink and a small refrigerator. At the end of that L was the teeny tiny bathroom... a shower. a sink. a commode and I squeezed my grandparents dresser in there. As you might have noticed, I had no furniture other than stuff left by my family after they went through my grandparents house when my Aunt died...

I thought it was a great apartment. Talk about sere! Talk about austere! I was cozy as a bug in a rug... except for the alley outside, which drew all the drunks from the bars in the area... yeah, weekends were fun... ... ...

So, at a time when I had little, I wrangled this painting from the local art store. The artist is David Drake, a local boy...

I have it still in my HOUSE...

and I love it none the less..

2 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best art is the stuff that speaks to us. Don't matter how much it costs, or how other people feel about it. All that matters is that it makes something resonate within you. And because of that, your picture is more beautiful to me, because it's beautiful to you.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know i love a sassy ocean. when it's your particular piece of sassy ocean it's got to be even better. My question is-- did you ever make penis shaped hamburgers in that apartment?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home