MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, September 20, 2010

Oconto, Wisconsin... Lucky Once Again

A very good day... cool, rainy, overcast...

Last night I slept well and this morning found my first Cracker Barrel! I’m still in Wisconsin, and got really lucky.

As I head north around Lake Michigan, there are fewer campgrounds that I can count on. I stopped in Oconto, Wisconsin, north of Green Bay to check my campground guide. I didn’t want to drive too much further, and I noticed a sign for camping. I checked it out and found the prettiest little campground (public) right on the river. You’ll see the pictures soon. The land was given (sold) to the city in 1932 for $1.00 with the codicil that if it was to be used for any other purpose other than recreation, it had to be to a family member for .. you guessed it.. $1.00.



It’s beautiful. Not the greatest facilities, but just beautiful and quiet.

Sometimes you get lucky... and as you know, I’d rather be lucky than smart.

I’m way off the major highways and glad of it. The speed limit in Wisconsin is 65, but it’s also 65 on these little highways so far, so not much difference except less traffic. I got stuck in a work zone in Milwaukee for about 20 minutes, but that’s been the only hold up so far this trip..

Knock wood...

I took some pictures of Milwaukee but they weren’t very good. Outstanding among the tall buildings were these churches. As I went through downtown, they seemed to be on every corner; tall, red bricked, beautiful and pointing the way upward.


The river around the campground, with a smaller version of a church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home