MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Friday, September 26, 2008

Take A Gander...



I don't want this to be at all flippant, but it was such an easy title (grin)...

I didn't do a blog about September 11th. I will have difficulty doing one now, but have chosen a topic that held me at that time, and seems to be slipping out of memory.

Imagine my surprise to find that my new nephew (in law) was at Gander on September 11th. We didn't know him then. He was on a flight in from Paris with his Mother, and they were diverted as was EVERY NON EMERGENCY FLIGHT IN THE UNTED STATES. I didn't even think know that fact until much after the event.

and then I heard about Gander.

If you know this, skip it... I just love this story because it showed the total opposite of the people who carried out the attacks...

It showed people at their best.

Gander is a small town in Newfoundland. 39 flights were redirected to land in this small town and it's smaller airport. They were taken in and fed and cared for as family for nearly 4 chaotic days as the world around them came to terms with the horrors. As you can see from the picture, the planes were landed and then moved and parked and then another was landed... A town of 10,000 absorbed 6,000 more and did it gracefully.

It helped.

And my nephew was there....

There are no big worlds...

no,

really...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home