MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, September 15, 2008

My Grandfather's Women... And There Were a Few...

Ok. You are going to have to pay attention in the same manner that you needed in the Ed, Ed, and Eddie post.

My grandfather was, to all accounts and purposes, a charming man...

Unless you were married to him.

I have to give some background information to set up this unfortunate scoundrel. Rake might also be a good word here. And, as an aside, my mother said, in her later years, that he molested her, but would never enlarge on that assertion. In talking with my sweet cousin the other day, he said his mother was always terrified of authority figures, of which my grandfather would have qualified in spades. So, if it sometimes seems as if I think he was a 'good guy', it is tempered by his personality, which wasn't. A good guy.

We are past knowing all the details at this point, but here is what we do know.

He was, if you remember, born in Foo Chow China in 1888. He was an only child and treated like a little king. I don't know if he was a desired child, and I do know that my Great Grandmother was a very busy woman. Neither of these things makes for a child who trusts and loves easily. My grandfather was the 4th Coast Guard Aviator and the 59th Naval Aviator. This puts him at the beginning of Military aviation no matter how you look at it, and if you check the post "Come Josephine in my Flying Machine" you can see the 1917 picture of some of these young men. He kept a 'diary' (in which he talks about himself in the 3rd person (not a good sign)) and talks about losing a man a week to the inadequacies of flying in those days. He retired as a Rear Admiral, so he was no slouch in the 'chosen field' department...

It was just the women. And his inability, apparently, to be alone.

Notice, if you will, his marital record.



He married "the love of his life", Nancy Jamison, in 1911. I love her picture. There is something so uncontemporary about her, and yet she has such a beautiful look. This was taken in 1912. The child was my half uncle, another Eugene. He was the cute one, who resembled Clark Gable and set hearts a flutter wherever he went. This started another trend of my grandfather. His children were born within a year of each other. Two by Nancy, and two by my Grandmother. I suspect, like Henry the VIII, he loved Nannie best because she died before he could tire of her....

Nancy Jamison Coffin died in 1918. I thought I KNEW it was the flu, but that may be an assumption. She left him with the two boys SOOOO he met and married my Grandmother in 1919. Now, notice the timing on this. Nannie died in October, 1918. He met, wooed and married my Grandmother, Peggy Powers, by February, 1919. He told her about the boys just before the wedding, telling her he couldn't wait until they were 'all together". Of course, he wasn't home very often...



Peggy Powers Coffin and Eugene Auguste Coffin...




I love the baby (Mom) in the side car. I believe my grandfather 'built' this motorcycle.




Another picture I love. My grandmother and the two boys. Again, there is something sort of timeless about this picture.





My Mother was born in November 0f 1919, and her sister in October of 1920. A busy man, my grandfather. They had a stormy marriage, and put my Mom and her sister in a boarding school while my Grandmother got a divorce. There are other blogs about these events. The divorce was final on December 26, 1934. He Married "the red headed dancer", Florence "Pat" Cole on December 28, 1934.

Think maybe he had that one planned?



I didn't see this picture of Pat Cole until last year, when a cousin (yes, I have many) sent it to me. Pat Cole was much younger than my Grandmother, another trend of my Grandfather. She actually resembles my mother a great deal, which is sort of creepy.

He divorced Pat Cole while he was stationed in Hawaii. The divorce took place sometime around July (?) 1948. He married Marjorie Barber Hite in August, 1948.

She adored him. She was a sweet woman. He was 60 and she was, again, much younger. She took care of him, kept his stories alive and archived his life, and outlived him. He would have been 104 or something when she died. Sometimes it pays to be the last wife.

I don't have a picture of her that I can find right now. She's in that picture with my cute cousin. She's the third from the left, he's the third from the right.

I did the sepia just for the fun of it, and to match the Nancy Jamison one...

Now, admittedly, these are the women I know.

Heaven only knows how many cousins I have due to his many travels all over...

If you think you're one of them...

Check in.....

5 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Sounds like your Grandfather was quite the ladies man. Good Lord. Divorced one day and remarried 2 days later? Wow.

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha - GREAT info...sorry, but WHAT A CREEP grandfather Coffin was...(never did like him all that much...)
hey... where is the picture of Marge??
(oh and, in my recollection: according to the "stories", our Grandmother found out about the TWO BOYS on her WEDDING NIGHT...nice guy, eh?)
me.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

I changed the Naval Aviator bit... he was the 59th, not the 69th.

The picture of Marge is in the post below ... the one about Families. Great picture of people we normally never saw together.

Mom had Grandmummy write about her life at one point. The letter was short, but mentioned that he told her about the boys earlier than her wedding night, but not by much. He said he 'couldn't wait for them to all be together'..

I had it the other day, but it's now in the pile I've used for this, and I'll have to find it again.

But, considering how soon they got married after Nannie died, it wasn't a good thing no matter when he told her...

and Oddly enough I liked him whenever I saw him... maybe it was that kindred dislike of settling in one place.

Who knows...

I'll read it to you when I find it...

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeeezus. Rake ain't the word. Roue, maybe.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

oooo...

Great word to define the beast...

Only he was a young roue too..

sort of a rouette? or a miniroue?

or just an insignificant snippet of pernicious pond scum??

hmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home