MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Love the Way it Smells...

Boy I love the smell up here. I’m glad all the redwood trees didn’t burn. They have such a distinct tree smell, not just ‘another pine’.

It seemed like a long drive up here yesterday. I’m really glad I did my cross country when I did, as I think I'm going to need something a bit more comfortable in the future. Good news is, it’s always shorter going home. Don’t know why...



Turkeys, coming in from the road. I’ve always seen wild turkeys here, roaming the small lawns in the campground around the cabins. They must get nervous this time of year...



My little cabin. It’s really cute. A bit large for just me, but it was what they had when I called. Here’s a picture of the outside!



This place is going to be &%$#*@# when the winter rains come... it may be really bad even before that. In the places where the fire came down and killed the trees near the highway there will be slides. They are ‘netting’ entire stretches. I imagine this is to keep the debris from coming with the water, which is going to be muddy enough. It will be a difficult winter up here. The road is open to closures (!) even in good years. Here you can see some of this netting happening. The trees are holding back the rocks, but the trees are dead and losing their grip.




I was impressed by the structures that were saved up here, but the locals are pissed because, apparently, the fires were allowed to burn and not stopped at the fire breaks and such. It’s a pretty common feeling up here, and there has been a lot of unfortunate damage to some beautiful foliage.

AND THAT’S PRONOUNCED FO-LEE- AGE not fol-age. I don’t know why anyone ever started mispronouncing this word... I simply don’t know...

sigh...

blame the school system...

and, of course, down the highway..




another fire...

and they say that it might rain this weekend, which is a sort of good news bad news situation.

But I just had a portobello mushroom/cheese/avocado sandwich with butternut squash soup...

and all is just fine in my world.

I've never had butternut squash soup...

sigh...

7 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you can now say you've had butternut squash soup!

And proper word pronunciation has gone down the terlit.

Witness Ms. Palin's pronunciation of verbiage as "verb-age." And let us not forget "new-cue-lar."

Your cabin is adorable!

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what was your verdict re: the butternut squash soup? You likeee?

Oh, please do not get me started on Ms. Palin. On and on and onandonandon.....Palindrone......

I still can't make myself eat portobellos, though.

St. J. Still posting anonymously.

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo! Oooo! before I forget!

Had GREAT dim-sum last weekend at one of my favorite places; while we're on the subject of verbeeidge and etc...

On the menu last Saturday?

House special; dim sum steam chicken feat.

They cook far better than they spell.

Still Anonymous

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger theshriek said...

Cute cabin.

Butternut squash is delicious, but I like butternut squash ravioli better.

Glad you have managed to get away for awhile.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

It's a feat to make chicken dim-sum maybe?

and I love butternut squash soup...

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

um... at least I hope it's a feat, cuz who would eat chicken feet??

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Who would eat chicken feet?"

Oooy - that's not all they eat.

Oh NO! It's....It's.....

PUN FEVER! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Only the well heeled?

Thom McCann probably would because everyone knows he's got sole.

"Thom McCann was sittin' in da' sand by da' ocean,
Thom McCann looked into his han'
and found a jelly roll.
Thom McCann was feelin' gran',
All da' girlz wuz lickin' his han';
he's a heel of a man, oh man,
but everbody knows dat' Thom McCann's got sole..."

(Believe it or not, that's an old Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show ditty from "Belly Up")

Anonymously in St. Louis,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home