MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Saturday, March 10, 2007

How Much?? Wait.... Alaska....




The original check that was used to purchase Alaska, a totally remarkable, undeniably brave move.

I say this because of something I learned from "American Judas" that I never knew.

When Booth assassinated Lincoln, a man named Lewis Powell made a concerted effort on Seward's life. You remember Seward, he's the guy who made possible the purchase of Alaska in 1867. On April 14, 1865, Powell entered Seward's house and attacked him as he was sick in bed. He cut him horribly, and injured his son. They thought Seward was dead...

I had no idea that the plot to kill Lincoln was that involved. I love learning new things.

They executed Powell.

But imagine how we would have missed Alaska if he had succeeded..

Oh...

and I have figured out why I haven't posted a lot lately (other than the usual reasons). I need to scan some pictures to discuss, so I'm going to do a bunch at a time and get cracking on this blogging stuff again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home