MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, January 15, 2007

Sisters, Sisters.... Such Devoted Sisters



My mother and her sister in 1938, sitting on what might be my father's car. My Mother is on the right. We've discussed my father's love of cars, and I'm reading the letters to see if this is mentioned. My parents were married in 1938, but I can't see if she's wearing her ring or not. (oops... date on back says "not yet") I'm wondering, about the dealer plates, if maybe Mom and her sister were doing a bit of advertising...?

hmm... research (being done via wifi during the Golden Globes) reveals a letter that mentions "Eddie got a new car on Friday. A Buick '38... The color is beige and it's a honey". It's difficult to discern if this is a beige car, but the date on the back is the same time frame as the letter, so I'm thinking either Dad took this picture or someone thought it would be good press to have two pretty girls perched on a car... The times never really do change, do they.... (just the amount of clothing, it would seem). I've since been told this was a Pontiac, not a Buick... I knew that... no.. I did... honest!

As we've discussed, my mother and her sister were very close. They were put into boarding school, Bethel College, Hopkinsville, KY, in 1934. The reason was that their mother was getting a divorce. This was not divulged to the girls until after the divorce, and then by their brother.... Their mother stopped to see them on her way to Reno, but told them nothing. They thought she was sick, and heading to the desert for her health. They found out about their new father after their mother had REMARRIED!... They must have wondered, and the letters are filled with covert questionings. From there they went to Mabel Scott Rancho, in California, as the new husband wasn't really interested in having a couple of girls around.

This made them very close.

And helped my mother appreciate what a great guy she had in my Father...

Next, some snippets of letters about the sisters..

5 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger theshriek said...

I am glad you are back to the family history and the old pictures. -)

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like a total total geek, the car your mother and aunt are sitting on is a Pontiac Six, I believe it's a 1938, which would make sense since the dealer plates are dated 1937...maybe they just did some car shopping before they settled on the Buick?

But back to my real specialty - those shoes are awesome.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

Pontiac/Buick... details! details details!

The original picture 'looks' professional, so it may have just been done for a friend or something....

Mom can't tell me, but it makes her smile!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

Oh... and I KNEW I'd seen that symbol somewhere (grin)

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And of course, I keep forgetting to mention that every time I read the title of this blogentry I think of course of White Christmas and Rosie and Vera singing this in those fantastic dresses. Good old Irving Berlin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home