MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, October 16, 2006

Dodge Dodge City...

Nope... I'm not stuttering. As Bette Davis said.. " What.. A .. Dump".



Boot Hill.. There were only something like 13 people ever buried there. The legend is indeed larger than life. It's part of the walled off 'tourist Dodge City' which is about one square block. I asked if it was the REAL boot hill and the little attendant said yes...

Do I look skeptical?

Apparently it was the highest part of the city (and it is, that's for sure) so that's where they buried those about whom no one cared. The 'good' people were carted off to some other big important city to be interred. There is no one buried there now, they were all moved.

The drive here was a lot less stressful than the interstate, specially as it was drizzling and foggy all day.

I didn't expect another Concordia, but I also didn't expect Chicago south. I should have, as Dodge was always a railhead, and that's the way they look. Certainly when they're dying. As opposed to Concordia, the downtown Dodge is... well... dead. Every other storefront is closed, and on some blocks most of them. The outskirts are filled with "Doc Holiday Liquor store" and, across the street, "Wyatt Earp Liquor store".

I did go to the obligatory "Boot Hill" museum, JUST FOR Y'ALL... $6.50 (because I'm old I got a discount). All of the original buildings (except for the jail.. yeah... right.. ) burned in a fire and were replaced with brick. That's what happened in Deadwood, for the most part...



The jail.. two cells... building about as big as a double outhouse... not for me!

So ...

Here's to Dodge City..

or not...




LOOK.. they can't even spell it correctly (grin)..

2 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been there! I've been to Boot Hill, I used to have that "no Les no more" fridge magnet. It was pretty cheesy, even 20 years ago.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

and he still wasn't there... (grin)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home