MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Friday, October 13, 2006

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

rrrrrrrrrrrr....
rrrrr.
rrr.
r

Well, it was 31 degrees when I went to breakfast this morning. Imagine how cold it got last night! I forgot to tell you. Yesterday morning, instead of a chocolate for the little toll person, I brought a cup of HOT Chocolate... she was very pleased (and showed me how cold her fingers were, poor thing!).



Iowa Rest area... I think those are supposed to be ... torches?

It turns out my little heater did not necessarily want to be included in the blog, it was just trying to warn me. As I went to unplug things last night, I noticed that the extension cord near the inside part of the plug was melted. I don't know why, I've only had it for... oh... 25 years and it's probably an indoor cord.. I liked it because it was flat, and went through the window easier... I got a new one today, (it's round but it won't kill me!), but that meant that I had to get up this morning WITHOUT MY LITTLE HEATER! (let's not talk about the possibility of fire ... nope... ain't going there). I woke up at about 6 but it was still dark, so I grabbed my clothes and tucked them in bed with me... but it didn't take me long to get up this morning... brrrrrrrrr....

And Bonho? I slept in my flannel sleeping outfit and TWO pair of socks... regular and little short socks. I never truly got 'warm' last night... I was just shy of comfortable, but I did manage to sleep. OH.. I also had one of my knit hats on, covering my head, my ears, my EYES and part of my nose... brrrr... It has the probability of being as cold or colder tonight. At least I won't set fire to myself...



Barn... nice barn...

Just took a teeny tiny nap. I'm tired. Fighting the wind for the last few days has been exhausting. I remember an old silent movie about the wind. It was probably about the dust storms, but I remember the woman's despair at the constant wind. I have been blown all over the road, and am getting about 3 mpgallon less that usual just keeping in the wind... I won't be going to Oregon this trip. I've been out 4 weeks and I'm about done. My goal was to meet y'all and I did and I'm so happy!

I got lucky again tonight...

no...

not THAT kind of lucky...

Because of the gentle nudging of a couple of friends, I realized I wasn't stopping enough, so I went to the Amana Colonies today. I've been there before, on a long ago trip. I was being chased to camping by one of those.... well... Iowa storms (what IS it with me and weather?), so I stopped early. Someone in the campground asked me if I'd been to the Amana Colonies , so I went. The only thing open that morning was a breakfast house (serving since 1880) and it was the best breakfast ever... even better than.. wait for it... Cracker Barrel (more on that later). This time I just poked around the gifty shops and all, but it was a nice break.. nice enough that I decided to camp in Newton, Iowa and go to the Antique Mall. When I got here, I discovered that this Sunday is a HUGE IOWA RACEWAY race and if I hadn't stopped then, I would still be looking for a place to stay...

So I'm nice and warm with the rapidly setting sun on the van (can't be outside, the gusts of wind are painful!. I didn't go into the Antique place, but I may go back tomorrow and do laundry and do the 'mall'... I'm just too tired today.



The main Amana colony... notice the building in my rear view mirror...

OH... and about the Amana Colonies. The were founded by people who lived much like the Amish (in fact, some of them still dress that way and live simply), but they soon gained fame for their fabulous furniture and... wait for it... microwave ovens!

Oh .. THAT Amana, you say... yep. Just outside the main settlement is this HUMUNGOUS factory.

I like people who can change with the times, yet remain attached to the past. There are several 'parts' to the colonies, with little bunches of neat houses live. All in all, a wonderful scenic drive... and some cool shops!



Another nice barn...

Ok.. back to the Cracker Barrel. I drove BACK to the one listed on my "where to find a really good Cracker Barrel" list. As I walked to my table, two women asked me about my hat ( one of the furry ones). I told them I'd made it, and the younger of the two asked if it was difficult.. I told her no, and she said her mother was getting Chemo and... well.. I gave her the one blue one I had taken with me... cute fuzzy blue.

They bought breakfast for me! Then we met in the gifty shop and talked for about a half an hour. She was a nurse (the third I've met in the last 4 days!!).. we talked about all kinds of things. It was a really nice treat AND breakfast was free!

Now free breakfast at the CB...

sigh...

Doesn't get much better than that!

eep! The sun's going down...



A wall in Newton... I like this...

2 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buffalo got 2 feet of snow last night & 100 miles of Rte 90 was closed. I'm so glad you got out of there when you did!!
Have a warm drive home.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be screaming in every comment I leave for you, but....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

I'm glad you're safe though. And that you have a new heater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home