MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, June 23, 2008

Driving in the Snow...



My grandfather.... NOT driving in the snow.


Wyatt made me think with her comment. I answered about video taping while driving, but not driving while it snows.

Snow, in L.A... remember?



Driving in the snow 101.

Oh.... look..... it's ... snowing...





First, if you haven't done it and don't have the equipment for it...

don't.

That being said, if you MUST, there are several things you should know. (remember, I come from a state where it snows like, once a year unless you live in the mountains. I obtained this information from LOTS of reading and some experience...

Remember, these rules are if you don't have any of the right equipment...

1. Slow down. Not quickly, but gradually. Maintain a steady slow pace and don't let anyone make you change...

2. Don't stop or accelerate unless you ABSOLUTELY MUST.. either one will cost you traction.

3. BRIDGES FREEZE FIRST.

let me repeat that

BRIDGES FREEZE FIRST...

I learned this one through reading signs while traveling across country, and it came in soooo handy in the giant redwood trees when I awoke to incredibly beautiful snow. As I was making my way to the coast (where I knew it would not be snowing), I saw cars off the road in several places. There was one on the long bridge before Eureka, and the only time I was in trouble was when the police car backed up FULL SPEED from the wreck. He spun several times and I drove through one of those circles (or really close to it). He didn't know that BRIDGES FREEZE FIRST...

4. This also works for hurricanes, but I don't recommend it for everyone, as it is sort of ballsy and stupid. If you can get in tracks of a big rig, stick close to it. They (at least they used to be) are better drivers, by and large... This is probably not as good an idea as it was before cell phones, but back then I had a radio so I could keep in touch...Oh.. and watch for the draft!

Keep your eyes OPEN OPEN OPEN!

OH WAIT!... HERE COMES THE FED EX TRUCK!! Quick... catch up!


Class dismissed (grin).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home