MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Saga of the Avocado Tree...



This is my avocado tree (taken at night in the rain)

This is a short story on a long wait...

I've been in this house for 24 years. eep! Sounds strange to say that... kind of takes away from my free spirit don't tie me down roving hippie image, doesn't it...

Anyways... I started planting trees, and somewhere around.. oh... 15 years or so (give or take a few), my sister gave me an avocado tree. It was GUARANTEED to bear avocados.

This month I got my first avocado! The gardener guy was sprucing up the tree and I was telling him about the no avocado saga and he said..

You've got one...

MY FIRST!

(hmm... reminds me of a conversation with my Doctor once.. but that's another story (snicker)).


I don't know why it took so long. I did go out and beat it with a bat last year (I was told it might help) but always figured it was too windy on this hill for the avocados to stick.

I finally picked it today, worrying that the wind, cold and hard rain might knock it off the tree and one of the night animals might eat it... plus, it's large enough.

Look..

My first avocado!







Now to find the other two I saw that day...

They're hiding..

5 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

How cools is that! Hell if I were you I'd be out there every whacking away at that thing with a baseball bat. Fun and productive!

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ole'!! Guacamole!

I'll bring the chips!

Peebs

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

I've been told the tree will now produce more fruit, once it's started...

I'm waiting...

tap... tap.... tap....

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want every kind of fruit tree, but I REALLY want avocados! I'm jealous!

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is pretty unbelieveable...(did you put it in a paper bag to ripen it??)oh and hey we could ALL use a good crop of avocados!! finally! (what a GREAT GIFT that was, eh? like, what, 15 years later??)
grrrr....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home