MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Friday, January 25, 2008

Avocado Sightings....


We had an avocado tree when I was a child. In those days, getting an avocado east of... oh... Nevada, let's say, was nigh on to impossible. We had so many that they often sat on the ground, unused. This was before the popularity of Guacamole, or even serving avocados in any other way than nekkid... (a little salt, a little pepper... maybe a little dressing??).

We had relatives from 'back east' on year, and they were astounded by the availability of this yummy fruit that they wanted to take a bunch home with them. If I remember correctly, they were traveling by train, as this was in the late 40's- early 50's. I think they many have taken some home with them, but had a long way to go...

If this was my Aunt, then shipping could be done by the Coast Guard. While they were here, they purchased a china service that was going to be shipped home for them.

My Mom (or Dad) had a great idea... they packed very green avocados around the chinaware and filled the box with them.

Great idea..

Lousy execution..

You see..

The shipment was delayed...

The avocados ripened...

and softened...

and what arrived was a box full of Guacamole covered China bits and pieces...


The good news is, when I was in Hawaii, I learned a bunch of nifty ways to serve avocados (which are huge and very round in Hawaii)...

I know.. I know.. this has nothing to do with the story, but it has everything to do with ME!

(and yes, it is all about me (grin)).

2 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum. Not so much for the guac covered china, but deffo for the yummy green guys themselves. Yum!!!

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I become Master of the Universe, Goddess of All I Survey (or perhaps City Council Secretary for Grubville, MO)

The first thing I intend to do is crawl into a tub of guacamole, with a LARGE bag of chips.

Now, THERE's a mental picture for ya'!

SMOOOOOOOOOCHHHHHHHHHHH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home