MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Class of '85...



This picture was taken in 1885. The person who meticulously wrote all the names of all these children gave the name of the school as “School #1 5th avenue and 2nd street.” What he neglected to mention was the city... of course... Since my father’s family came from Mount Vernon, NY, I’m thinking that’s a safe bet... if anyone knows, please let me know.

What do you think, 6th grade?.... I don’t know, it’s hard to tell in the clothes, as the kids look older. Imagine dressing like that every single day... although they may have been 'dressed up' for the picture...

The goofy looking fellow on the lowest row on the far left is my great uncle, my grandfather’s brother, Charley. I believe my grandfather had two brothers, two half brothers and at least one sister. I know his mother’s maiden name was Hammond, and I think his father's name was Howard Schenck. I have a news clipping for a Howard Schenck who died in 1870, who might have been my grandfather's grandfather. Phew! Sweet Charley killed himself some time in the 50’s. Hard to imagine, that little boy.... We don't know as much about my father's family, but I keep finding snippets of things as I peruse pictures and letters. Charley and my grandfather were close, as he was with Emily, his sister (she married a Dr. John Knapp, but lived with my grandfather in Los Angeles, so he might have died relatively young).

What is interesting in this picture, besides the incredible outfits and demeanor, is that the gent sitting beside Charley is Clarence COFFIN, the name that is my mother’s side of the family. I don’t know how Clarence and I are related, but we certainly are cousins of a sort... imagine that coincidence.

and I just lovelovelove the clothes... the shoes and boots... the happy faces... ;)

1 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger theshriek said...

Glad you posted something new. I was going through withdrawal. -)

That is fascinating about the Coffin/Schenck connection. Oh the mysterious ways that our lives are intertwined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home