MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Friday, March 17, 2006

Made for each other...


My father's parents. They were married in 1905. This is their wedding picture. As I've mentioned, it was a bit late for both of them... almost 30. They both lived in New York. Not the city, but in the Mount Vernon area. One of the things I love about this picture is - that is my brother's face on my grandfather... or vice versa. I also have a picture of someone who might be his grandfather, and my brother's eyes are in that picture. I love how family similarities show up in the strangest places (grin).

They moved to Jacksonville Florida, where my father was born in 1912. My grandfather contracted Tuberculosis. My father had spinal TB, as we've mentioned, and spent 6 years in body casts. My Aunt had weakened lungs... or that's what they called it. They both died in their early 70's.

Here is a picture of my grandmother,, my Aunt and my father. I absolutely LOVE the bow, not the first or last time she wore such a thing. She was proud of her hair and her clothes, as was my grandmother, all her life. Dressed to the nines, both of them, whenever possible. I never saw either one of them in a pair of pants. My grandfather was never hale and hearty. He had a heart attack in the early 50's, but he was 75 at a the time. He died in 1963. She died in 1972. He was a gentleman, and she was his lady love.

This picture was taken on December 7, 1941... before the fit hit the shan, as they say. It was early on a Sunday, and the word had not reached this coast (or was not heard by them). My brother is the child with my father. My grandparents were old when I was born. I have no memory of them except as old. My grandmother was patient and sweet, and my grandfather was the greatest listener in the world.

They didn't belong in the 20th century. They were of another time....

2 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I want to own what your grandmother is wearing in that picture. I see mondo stylin' played a huge part in your family!!!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

True... until I came along (grin)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home