MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Yes Dear, butt....


I have always paid attention to the 'dancing deer' signs, as my friend Treasure used to call them... There is a reason THEY put them there, and never more evident than in this picture.

Just a break from family, kitties and Christmas. This picture was taken at my favorite lake outside of Joseph, Oregon. The deer are actually a problem around the campground and surrounding area. They have, through the years, come to realize that they are safe there during hunting season... safe and well fed. The feeding part I have to cop to, as I used to carry a box of Saltine crackers with me just for that express purpose (although I love saltine crackers on their own merit, but that is another story for another time). The deer used to greet my van when I pulled into the campground, particularly if I got there after dark, or if there weren't a lot of campers around. They can become aggressive, but moreover, they are unlearning how to find food on their own (although how difficult could it be to teach a deer to eat grass and leaves??)
Another view of Wallowa lake...


When last I visited Wallowa lake, my camping neighbor was quickly named 'the Deer Whisperer'. The people before him must have fed the deer, or it was just a place they liked, because every night they congregated in his campsite. I finally caught as many of them as i could on film... I believe he was cooking venison at the time?? naw... that would be too cruel!



The outcome of these deer gatherings is that the powers that be are starting to fine you if they catch you feeding the deer. They are also setting up feeding sites away from the campground, as the deer sit and sleep right outside the RV's. I don't mind stopping, although there is a thrill that comes from standing next to an animal who is ALMOST wild and certainly beautiful. I have seen people put their children next to these animals to take pictures... I have seen these animals become aggressive because it is rutting season. I never wonder at the intelligence of deer...

people, however...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home