MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Friday, October 08, 2010

Back in Calif... Cali... Califo... I Can't Say It... sigh...

I'm in Fortuna, California, a few days from home. HOME? My home is on the road!! oops.. did I say that out loud?

I stopped in Ferndale California today. I think I've talked about it before, but I'm going to do so again... nothing else to say, and you KNOW I can't say NOTHING.


Ferndale was built in the 1880's, near to Deadwood's time, only they have done what I wish Deadwood had... They have preserved the Victorian feeling of the town to this day, in spite of several serious earthquakes in San Fran... There is a video somewhere of the buildings just shaking apart in places, but they rebuilt again.

This is what I wish Deadwood had done to keep the 'feeling' of the place... not the colors, but the originality in appearance.

The cemetary, which is quite different, has been used for several movies, most notably The Stephen King's Salem's Lot. I stopped in the newspaper office many years ago, having been unable to get a reason for the 'look' at the local cafe. The editor and I went to the library and found only that
1. The land on the hill was the least usable and was picked for the site.
2. The graves had to be LEVEL, and not buried at an angle.

hence..


The graveyard, which most resembles something in Louisiana...

There's a Catholic graveyard around back, which looks about the same only smaller... and...

of course...

holds only those going to heaven... (!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home