MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Puke... er.. Butte, Montana..

Butte Montana has been voted the ugliest city in America by the National press more than once. As you will see by the pictures, the city isn't ugly much, but it has, I suppose, to do with the enormous pit that sits RIGHT next to it.

I'm still in Montana, choosing between a very long driving day or two shorter ones. Must be my age... I've crossed the Yellowstone River a few times, as it's a meandering river, but pretty all the same.

The Berkeley Pit, the largest open pit Copper mine in America can be seen for miles... especially the slag from it. The first time I drove around the bend that leads to it, I was amazed.. and a bit sickened. It's right across from where I'm camping now. It would be right across from where I am if I was in Wyoming!

Driving in...

On closer view I was surprised to see it filled with water. The first time I saw it I had to sneak on the property and take a video. They had closed the mine about 2 years earlier, and it was very deep, about 3,800 ft. Since they closed the mine and shut down the water pumps, the water level has risen to about 150 feet below the water table. There are 33,000,000,000 gallons of water in it now, so you can't see the bottom. This is going to be a real problem when it hits the level, as it is filled with incredibly noxious metals, which are going to pollute several rivers.

the mine

Maybe the National press was right..

The town, however, is quite rustic and filled with solid old buildings.


The last is looking down into fhe valley below the hilly town... quite a pretty setting.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Anonymous me said...

ha - and even the pit looks rather nice....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home