MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Deja View...


This is what much of California looks like between SF and the giant redwoods. This and grapes. Not unpleasant, but also not my cup of java.

Ok..

So I'm sitting in my van, all cozy and wise, eating a turkey sandwi.....

Oh.. Never Mind...

I'm in Petaluma again. I need to get up early tomorrow to get through San Francisco before the Fit hits the Shan...

Tomorrow in San Francisco there will be:

A FREE bluegrass concert in Golden Gate Park (the road I'm taking runs right through the park)

An Air show over the bay.. with the Blue Angels (did I ever tell you about the really cool time I saw them fly... from ABOVE?)

A Chinese parade in Chinatown

A Columbus (politically incorrect at that) Day parade...

dang..

I hate it when that happens. The good news is that it's a Sunday, so if I get a good start, I should be able to beat any real traffic..

Unless there are as many accidents as last time!



This is the town of Willits, GATEWAY TO THE GIANT REDWOODS!!! (what's left of them) looks like. It's a typical little town that has managed to make the 4 lane highway narrow just for it, unlike many others who were left behind. Seabiscuit is buried somewhere around here...

I'm sure I've talked about this before.. In December, 1964, there was a combination of High tide, heavy rain and snow melt that caused havoc up and down the northern California coast and parts of Oregon... Until I saw a video of news coverage, I thought it was only the Eel river that had the problems. Northern California and Southern California were cut off from each other completely. Roads, houses, towns, railroad tracks... the rivers still show signs of the 'silt' (for lack of a better word) left over 40 years ago..

a quote

"But in 1964, the entire Pacific Coastline of California, Oregon and Washington were smacked by tropical storms. The high water marks from the racing huge waters can still be seen in gulches and gorges like the Rogue River in Oregon, which is 100 miles to the north of the South Fork of the Scott River.

Many cities along the Oregon and California coasts were flooded and towns were wiped out. The deluge took out bridges, homes, highways and farms. Humboldt County was stunned, when it discovered that it was completely cut off from the rest of the world. The Eel River was expected to top-out at 25 feet, but it crested at 29 feet.

A helicopter attempting to evacuate Ferndale residents crashed on Dec. 22, killing all seven on board added to the misery. "

As you drive through the redwoods on Highway 101, you see this sign.. sorry if it's a bit blurry, but I was taking it on the run.




Here is the sign up close...




It says HIGH WATER MARK DECEMBER 1964

You will notice it is above the highway.. the river is waaaaay down on the left hand side of this picture... waaaay down..

My friend says she remembers driving through that area sometime later (and it must have been, because things had to be repaired) and seeing mattresses and beds and parts of things in trees...

It was the same year as the Alaskan Earthquake that devastated Crescent bay...

quote

"The Alaskan earthquake occurred on Good Friday, March 27, 1964, at 5:36 PM local time. It was the largest earthquake ever recorded in North America.

Duration estimates range from 3 to 5 minutes." !!

Someone must have pissed off Mama Nature...

bad..

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's always a Chinese parade happening in Chinatown. I don't think I've ever been there when there wasn't one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home