MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

So...



This sign has been here for at least 50 years, because that's how many years I've been coming here..

So...

I got to Joseph today. I stopped in Wallowa to visit my glassblowing friend and his new wife... What great people. I think it’s a good match! I watch production for a while; he was deep in making his glass pints (of which I am going to have a lot more pictures... they’re transcendent!) Then I was off to town.

The trees are taller than the last time I was here, which I now believe was before Mom’s first stroke... Certainly before this computer. The maple trees were in full bloom then... I have a picture I may put on a blog at a later date because the town looked as if it was lit from within.

Joseph, when I first met it in 1957, was about the same size, but was a ... well... shabby little town. In the last few years, they have done a lot of work, and kept it within the graces of the old town.

One of the most interesting things they did was redoing the sidewalks. They made them larger (the main street was always wide), and added little “corners”... that bulge out. This keeps the drivers away from the parkers, and adds some beauty to the town...

because..

On each corner is some kind of display. Sometimes it’s just rocks and trees and maybe an artistic bicycle ‘parked’ beside. Sometimes it is an enormous bronze sculpture from one of the local artisans.




I’m putting some here... now...

These are all full sized figures, and add such beauty to this little town that it’s a joy to walk down the street...


The horse...



The lady ... I really like her... there’s a side view so you can see how the town looks in front of her..







The big cat...



I took a few more I didn’t like, so I’ll put them on tomorrow or so. Turns out Joseph is rife with wifi.

I then headed out to the campground and not only did they have spaces, they gave me my FAVORITE space without my asking! go figure...

I drove up the little road that leads to the left of the campground. There are places with cabins and all...

and deer...



As you can see, they are fed too often by humans. I stopped to take a picture and this little one came right up... then, after I drove off, he just stayed there! I had to shoo him away after I turned around and came back...

The State Park has started feeding them outside of the campground, as they became such a nuisance during hunting season (and any other, I guess). They aren’t pets, and can raise up and rake you with hooves or horns. (antlers?) whatever.....

ask me how I know this...

I don’t know if you remember, but last time I had a picture of a motorhome with about 15 deer just sitting outside while the man cooked. He hadn’t fed them, but they all gathered there. I called him the deer whisperer.


I could, however, feed this little chipsquirrel...





So I’m off to bed. It’s cold up here in the trees, but the weather is nice during the day.

I am beginning to miss my bed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home