MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Not So Fast, Kindle...


I expect the written word (on paper. Hard bound. Paperback. Newspaper.) to cease to be in the not so distant future.

I, hopefully, won't be around to see it's demise. I expect it to take at least another 50 years before ALL books will be found only in 'antique' bookstores. I am glad I'll miss it.

I love the written word. I love reading the written word. I love writing the written word, but, you will notice, I do it on another medium other than paper. I'm part of the problem, just a little bit.

I

Love

Books.

My sister got me a Kindle for Christmas last year. Fortunately for both of us, it was back ordered so far that she could cancel it.

There is something visceral about books that I don't think I will ever be able to abandon.

When I came back from Hawaii in late 1970, I got a temporary job at Campbell's Bookstore in Westwood Village. It was the old fashioned kind of bookstore, with dark wood and a second story and books all neatly put where they belong (have you BEEN to a bookstore lately and looked at the manner in which books are filed? I can only assume that the handlers of books have no idea how to alphabetize or categorize).

No..

Really.

Or maybe even read...

Anyways, back to Campbell's. I was wrapping books for Christmas.

Oh happy happy Joy Joy job!

Not only did I get to handle and wrap almost every book sold that season (and wrapping books is easy and fun and can be made to look extremely expensive for next to nothing), I got to help put away the NEW BOOKS..

Forget your New Car smell, there is NOTHING like the smell of a new, well made book.

sigh...

So there I was, surrounded by books with time on my hands and a DISCOUNT!

and occasionally a visit from Ray Bradbury...

sigh..

I don't think I made any money at all....

But I'll never forget either the job or the place.

So take your Bimble and put it wherever you want...

I'm sticking with books...

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lively Lily said...

I disagree, there's nothing like the smell of an old book. New book smell comes in at close second.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

ooooo... old book smell good too...

I like that stiff crackle of new pages and breaking the spine..

oops..

time for another little pill...

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Janet James said...

Well, someone said "change ain't lookin' for friends, change calls the tune we dance to".

I love books too. They almost smell as good as diesel fumes and coffee a brewin'.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger mizmarilyn said...

or, as the spanish say" Hay que Bailar al son que se toca" (or something like that) which, loosely translated means "one must dance to the tune that is played"

hmm... you lost me at "diesel fumes", although I DO have a fondness for large trucks, it's more the sound than the smell...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home