MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Yippee Ki Yi Yi....



Sisters....

Hoping to find a wifi spot tomorrow morning..... this stoopid KOA doesn’t have any, and I’m in Sisters, Oregon, which may not either. sigh...

The difference in temperature was dismaying today. It was so nice and cool on the coast, and it must have been in the 80’s today in Sisters. It’s in the kind of middle of the state, at a fairly high elevation, and hot... and dry...

I miss my State Parks Campgrounds...

Last time I was here, for those of you who remember, I stayed on the Metilous river, on the north of town. It was nicer in the trees by the river, but the campground was small and... well... sort of shabby...

I couldn’t wait until sundown today, which I thought would never come!

However... with the setting of the sun came...

THE RODEO!!!

Apparently, rodeo is a big thing in Sisters, and the Rodeo place is RIGHT next to the campground. I was going to call y’all and have you listen to the very loud sound, but it was too late for most of you when it started.

oh boy...

a rodeo...

right next door...

Now, if I were in my 30’s....

Sisters is/was a fun little town with gifty shops all over the place. I don’t know the history, but it looks as if it is an old town made new again. Unfortunately, I couldn’t stop anywhere in town because of the non stop traffic. There is only one main drag, and it was crammed with cars...

And big buildings are being built, even as we speak.

Huge ones...

On the way here, I took the winding shortcut through the trees and green and then (it was a total surprise to me the first time) LAVA ... lots and lots of Lava.. The Sisters are actually three volcanic mountains. They are quite beautiful, and have erupted not that long ago (well, as volcanos go, you know)... the road runs right through these big waves of lava, even though the elevation at that point is 5,300 ft! The lava isn’t lower (unless it’s worn by weather at the lower elevations) it’s only at that altitude...

go figure..




Hope springs eternal...




The observatory... don’t know it’s history...


A sample of Sisters building... had to turn off the main drag to take it!



The only picture I couldn’t get (because of the traffic) was of these beautiful horses. There were about 30 of them in a field which was being watered by these huge sprinklers. They were eating and playing in the sprinklers and, as I passed, two of them were rolling on their backs like big puppy dogs...

What a joy....


of course...

to make up for the heat...

it was about 30 degrees last night...

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mom and "read" the whole thing today - well, I read it to her while she tried to ignore me!
of course, she enjoyed the pictures...
=0)
me

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Claireadactyl said...

Does Heaven have WiFi? Can you read blog comments in the afterlife?
I sure hope so.
I was one of your students way back in the dark ages (the 90’s). Remember the “Superstupid” drawing? Yeah, that was me.
For some weird reason, I was thinking about you the other day.
And for an even weirder reason, I googled you. Not sure what I was expecting to find (I already knew you were gone).
And I found THIS BLOG. I’ve been binge reading it for days. I wish you were still around, we would get along SO WELL!
I currently live about 20 minutes east of Sisters. That building you posted is the oldest one in the town, I believe it was built in 1912. It used to be a brothel and is supposedly haunted by a man who committed suicide in one of the upstairs rooms. It’s now a restaurant and I worked there for a total of three days...apparently dropping plates full of food is frowned upon.
Gah! Why didn’t I see this post like 10 years ago?!?!?!??!
If only I could time travel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home