MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Sunday, August 13, 2006

One lap left!!! One lap left!!! ONE LAP LEFT!!!



yawn... (smack... smack... scratch)... WTF is that noise!?

See.. the difference between that first race (for me) and the one that started early this morning is the level of importance. In 1985 there were bunches of bicycles and a little grandstand and some friends and an announcer.

This morning there were helicopters. More than one helicopter. I suppose that was so they could move between the Volley Ball and the Bike Race. What joy! I also found out that there is one more tournament happening about a mile up the road that has the bike race on it.l Today is a tennis tournament, women's, at the "country Club (OFY)". Just to add to the fun. I estimate that the closest you can get to Manhattan Beach today is probably Santa Monica...

Local joke.

Along with the helicopters, we now have two announcers (so that they may keep up a running patter that is mostly undecipherable... but loud. And music, don't forget the music. And booths, to sell cycling clothes and heaven knows what else. I will wander over later and check (sometimes they give away free things!!!)). During the big races (there are dozens of different races during the day) people run from one side of the green belt to the other to watch the leaders. Like they couldn't tell from the BATTERBATTERBATTER patter of the announcers. At least that's what it sounds like they're saying, though I can't imagine why.

The first year I took a picture with my old camera as the pack passed perilously beneath my deck. The speed of my camera was so slow that I got a picture of the street... with tiny flashes of color. No bikes could be seen... I looked for that picture, but can't find it so I tried to take another...

Damned high speed photography!

Of course, there's always a chance they may all collide!!! (evil grin)

1 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger theshriek said...

Sounds like what me and Mr. theshriek experienced when we lived near UT during football season.

I feel your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home