MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Friday, October 28, 2005

I don't want to walk without you, baby...


My parents, at some Rotary function, probably in the 50's?

My parents were very loving. Now I don't remember then as being 'sexy', but I don't suppose that would have factored in to my view of them when I was a child. I DO remember some locked doors after we moved to a house in which their bedroom wasn't in the pathway to our playroom and my brother's bedroom. We lived in a really small house until I was 13! As I've mentioned, my father told us once that he thought no one would be able to look at him physically and love him. My Mom never gave it a thought, and their relationship was founded on something pretty darned good.

My Dad rarely raised his voice. My mother was more prone to ... well... she was immature at times, and it showed occasionally. Wow! lightning didn't just strike me dead!! (grin). Wherever they went, they went together, when Dad was home. He worked too much, and made it all look too easy for us. I think we thought we were rich, and in all the ways that counted, we were. If there was a more textbook 50's family, I never saw it... well, that's not true, actually, I saw a lot of them. We lived in the Westwood Village area of Los Angeles.. not exactly a 'suburb', but an enclave maybe. Small families, good neighbors, safe places to be as a kid. Mom didn't drive until after my sister was born. She said that the first day she got her license, she drove all over all by herself! What freedom!

My father was block warden during the war. I have little memories of that time, of course, but I do remember the blackout curtains, as we had them in the house forever. To this day I can't sleep with any light showing.

So I had it good growing up. I had a sister and a brother ( I was the classic middle child... still am), a mother who didn't work, and a father who worked too hard. We had parents who loved us.

and they loved each other

maybe more...

me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home