MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Monday, September 18, 2006

Sometimes You Get Lucky...



The entry rest area in Kansas. This one, like most of the midwest entry points, was filled with local artists work and products being sold along the route. It was big and warm and had free coffee and nice people in it. You Californians remember those places in Californi.... oh.. wait.. you don't??

guess why...




Wheat... the staple of Kansas.. at least I think it's wheat... and there were bunches of hawks making lazy circles in the sky..
oh wait.. that's another state!


Monday
I was going to drive to Salina today, It would have meant driving another 100 miles on top of the 350 or so I have already driven. I've stayed at the KOA there, and it's OK, but right on the freeway.

Kansas... it's nothing if not flat!



i pulled off the road to get gas at Ellis.. there was a little sign with a camper on it. I followed the signs into town and found this little campground right on a tiny lake formed by a small river. Beautiful. Peaceful. Electric! and.. after I drove through the teeny tiny cute town of Ellis looking hopelessly for wifi, I found it here on the lake. Must be a nearby church or something.



the little lake... I later counted more than 30 geese... beautiful .. I'll put them in the next post..


The signal is weak and fluctuates, but I think I can get this posted. We’ll see. The drive today was long and flat and very windy... this is not helped by the “what to do in case of a tornado” sign as I came into the campground. This is a city campground; the fees are collected by the local police. I’ve found gems like this before.. the most notable in Fargo, North Dakota... it was early in the year, so it was free.



me... notice the grassy field behind the van. This was the nicest spot!


I’ve just been joined by a flock of geese... 11 of them in all, with an obvious leader who keeps them all in line.. literally.

There isn’t much to say about Kansas. I’m sure if you spent a couple of weeks here and hit the ‘high’ spots you would find some wonderful things. I’m on my way to bigger places, though, and this isn’t my kind of weather. This is a pretty little town, however, with tree lined streets and high school kids playing football on a grassy field that you couldn’t buy in L.A.

I got lucky...

again....



One of at least 5 churches in this small town. I love the midwest churches. On the plains you can see them for miles before you get to a small town.. They are huge and beautiful.

Post Script -Tuesday I found the source of the wifi.. it's the Catholic church across the pond. I had this feeling...

so now i'm going to add some pictures and go and hunt the wild breakfast...

there was frost on the ground this morning..

oh . . yea. . .

Blogger won't let me put pictures right now... I'll try later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home