MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES

MIZMARILYN'S MISSIVES... THE MANIACAL MUSINGS ON THE MEANDERINGS, MISADVENTURES, AND MISHAPS OF A MISGUIDED MISCREANT...

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Random Spotlights...

No Peebs, I'm not giving up on spotlights... I haven't even started (grin).



Me, as Elvis..

The first time I heard of Elvis, I was in Junior High School.. almost too old to care. I remember seeing an ad in a Teen age Magazine (at school ... gasp!) that said "Win a date with Elvis Presley" and thinking... WTF kind of name is Elvis??

Needless to say, I found out soon enough. Not soon enough to enter the contest, but soon enough to appreciate the music, if not the maker. I didn't really appreciate him until the 1968 'return' concert he gave in his tight jeans and small .. um... er.. AUDIENCE .. (tsk tsk.. your MINDS, children, your MINDS!). He was my kind of sexy then, but didn't stay that way for long..

Poor fellow.

Music has been such a huge part of my life that I find it interesting that I listen to so little of it today. Much of my travel stuff this trip was Country, when I listened at all. Something about 75 MPH and beautiful weather and neat countryside and great people that was just fine without any music..

go figure..

The same little choir that sang on the Milton Berle show also performed for Jimmy Durante, at his home. It was very impressive for me, and he was a gracious man. We sang "Inka Dinka Doo" for him (quite well, as I recall). Still didn't hire us on the spot, but by then my great leader was already thinking of leaving me behind, as I never DID sound like a teenager, much less a teen age girl.

I mean, who is a whisky tenor at 12?

In College I was part of the All City Choir, which I told you back in an earlier post. One of the perks of being part of the choir at Santa Monica City College was that we got to usher at the Civic Auditorium (for free, of course) which meant that we got to see all the music for free, too...

Some wonderful stuff over the years, including one smarmy little violin player who told me the bags under my eyes meant a misspent youth... and who was quite willing to help me spend it right.

yuck...

I've been in Sweet Adelines, which I LOVED except for all the other women, and sometimes the choice of music. The won't let the women sing the same types of songs as the men (sexist pigs, she said sweetly). I've seen some of the more recent stuff and it seems they are coming into their own, which is a good thing.

and the end all was that we used to go to a little bar (like a lodge bar) after the rehearsals. One night there were half a dozen of us and we started singing. Had a ball... Next meeting we come in to the admonition that "poor quality singing in public places" is a no no for Sweet Adelines.

and, as I left, I said I would sing as poorly as I wished any WHERE I wished any TIME I wished..

and we weren't singing poorly..

at all..

(harumph!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home